Acne is one of the most common and serious skin conditions, affecting nearly 85 percent of people between the ages of 12 and 30. Not only does acne leave physical marks such as blemishes and scars, but it can also cause depression, anxiety and low self-image. Conventional acne treatments can be pretty expensive and often have undesirable side effects like redness and irritation. These products also don’t guarantee permanent solution to your acne issue. On the other hand, home remedies are not only affordable, they are also very effective for acne.
Honey and Cinnamon Mask
Both honey and cinnamon are excellent sources of antioxidants. Combination of both of these can work wonders on acne prone skin. These are two common acne medications for the skin that have antibacterial properties and they are guaranteed to give you effective results.
How to Make a Honey and Cinnamon Mask
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together to form a paste.
- After cleansing, apply the mask to your face and leave it on for 10–15 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off completely and pat your face dry.
Aloe vera is a tropical plant whose leaves produce a clear gel. The gel is often added to creams, lotions, shampoos and many other products. Aloe vera is commonly used to treat skin and hair issues. When applied to the skin, aloe vera gel can help heal acne, wounds, sunburns and rashes. Aloe vera also contains salicylic acid and sulfur, which are both used extensively in the treatment of acne.
How to Use It:
- Scrape the gel from the aloe plant out with a spoon.
- Apply gel directly to clean skin as a moisturizer.
- Repeat 1–2 times per day, or as desired.
You can also buy aloe vera gel from the store, but make sure it contains more than 90% of aloe vera gel.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another effective solution for acne. It is made by fermenting apple cider, or the unfiltered juice from pressed apples. Like other vinegars, it is known for its ability to fight many types of bacteria and viruses including acne.
How to Use It:
- Mix 1 part of apple cider vinegar with 3 parts of water (use more water for sensitive skin).
- After cleansing, gently apply the mixture to the skin using a cotton ball.
- Let sit for 5–20 seconds, rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat this process 1–2 times per day, as needed.